Join Hida Honoka in the last of our prequel stories to the Emerald Legacy, the story dedicated to the Crab clan. Thanks to A. M. Rodriguez for bringing my favourite clan to life.Continue reading “Onibaba”
The Emerald Legacy Story Team is proud to present our very first Lion Clan fiction! Matsu “Khagdar” Kenshin has done a fantastic job stepping up as lead Lion Clan and we couldn’t be more excited to see the direction the Lion are lead under his direction. Our flagship fiction, Scars and Failure, deals with a side of the Lion that is not often addressed. This will set the stage for many great triumphs and tactics from the warriors of the Lion as they set sail into new lands and prepare to brave new dangers.Continue reading “Scars and Failure”
Update to the RL/BL (October 6 2021)
Following on from a successful launch tournaments (congratulations to Kaikou and the Crab Clan for their victory!), we have been testing something for you with updates to the restricted and banned lists. Thank you to all the playtest team who have spent countless hours playing games with us not only RL updates but new card coming soon. Without further ado, here are the changes in a situation update break down by clan.Continue reading “Emerald Edict v2.0”
Last week we had a very successful stream up on Twitch. Due to some technical issues we were not able to export the recording into video format so we made a list of everything discussed to insure no one is stuck out of the loop. Discussion was broken into several broad topics, (Story, Design, Rules, Art, Organized Play, and General Updates) and we got to introduce a few of ourselves and share how excited we are about this project with you all.
– Our story line will run in parallel to FFG’s story line (if it should continue)
– We won’t be able to use any characters from FFG’s canon after we’ve left Rokugan
– We plan on having story prizes for tournaments and other ways to let the community shape the story (in reasonable ways)
– Each clan has a story lead and we also have an additional writer for Mantis and antagonist stories. The names of the people involved stay a secret until we release their first stories – You can find our two released stories “After the Storm” and “An Empress’s Legacy” here https://emeraldlegacy.org/story/
– Our first product is going to be named “Through the Mists” and will be roughly 50 cards (~6 cards per clan, padded out with neutrals)
– The set will feature some cards like Disarm and Ayubune Pilot that aim at providing neutral solutions that required certain splashes previously
– For clan themes, we want to focus on fleshing out a few Core set themes that haven’t gotten FFG’s attention – We are currently looking on how/if we want to rotate out existing cards but there is nothing set in stone yet when it comes to that
– We will continue working on the rules framework of the game, but will do so step by step
– The new attachment rule acts as a proof of concept that is supposed to show the community that we are not afraid of making some major changes to the game and that those changes result in a healthier game
– While errataing FFG’s cards is something we don’t want to do often (for legal reasons), we might potentially replace existing FFG cards with similar, toned down replacements
– We are currently relying on volunteer work to get things done, as we have no budget yet
– There will be ways for the community to support Emerald Legacy financially, to give us a bit of money to acquire artwork
– We are very happy with the turnout for the Emerald Legacy Launch event – The clan of the winner of that tournament will escort the imperial delegation to where ever our story is heading
– Also, there will be a neutral card in Through the Mists that will provide a little extra bonus when played by a player of the winner’s clan
– The Hall of Honor is now live at https://emeraldlegacy.org/hall-of-honor/
– We are still searching for volunteers to help us on the way, especially when it comes to art. You don’t need to be a professional artist to help out, any level of experience will do
– We are also still searching someone to fill the spot of Project Coordinator. If you are interested in working with this lovely bunch of people and have a hand for project management and coordination, please apply! https://emeraldlegacy.org/join/
Thank you for your positive feedback to our launch. We’ve been blown away by your responses and are grateful for each and everyone of you that is giving us a chance to keep this game alive!
The Empress of the Empire has an important decision to make in the latest fiction from our magnificent story team.
An Empress’s Legacy
Launch of Organized Play
Throughout history, status has been defined by displays of prowess and skill. Great champions of legend have arisen from their acts of cunning and strength. While it has been a time of recovery recently, we at the Emerald Legacy are very excited to announce the beginnings of a new Organized Play standard for grizzled veterans and aspiring newcomers alike.
Our launch tournament will last over the course of a month and begins on August 1st. We plan to run four qualification pods, two will be in the US/AU and two will be set for the EU, with a singular weekend for the final knockout stage. Qualification pods will default to five rounds of swiss but could vary depending on the number of signups we get. Everyone with a 4-1 record or better will qualify for advancement. There will be a single challenger for each clan determined by strength of schedule. The Lotus Pavilion page will be posted this weekend, so keep an eye out!
For the time being the Emerald Legacy will focus primarily on digital events, as they are much easier logistically to implement and organize. We do not envision this being the permanent format for the game, but it is the best, first step for our journey into this brave new world. Speaking of brave new worlds, our very first event will have a story prize for the winner. I’m not allowed to spoil too much at the moment but there may or may not be a card named “The Empress’s Legacy” attached to the story choice 😉
The Return of the Hatamoto.
The promise and idea of clan Hatamotos was always an exciting one and while in practice it had very little impact on the game it was a fantastic part of the community and we want to see a return to that tradition. We are going to be careful to not follow in any past mistakes, so for now we want to start with a few ideas and build our way up from there. At any physical event that is run under Emerald Legacy OP, Hatamoto will have priority seating as well as their own clan tables. These tables might be dressed in the colors of each clan or decorated uniquely depending on the scale of the event and the ability of the TO. We are still working on the technical side of things, but there will be a page of honour on the Emerald Legacy website detailing the Hatamoto for each clan. Once we are able to begin running physical events, Hatamoto will automatically prequalify for the main event. Finally, your Hatamoto status will not decay! The only way to lose it will be to change clans in a tournament where Hatamoto status is on the line.
We have decided to honour the top performers of Clan War with Hatamoto status, as this will serve as our building block to expand on moving forward. In addition, we wish to honour the previous Shogun of the game for their deeds with Hatamoto status.
Crab: Benjamin Wolf / Hida Amoro
Crane: Pablo Casares / Djinncito
Crane: Erik Baalhuis / Daidoji Erik
Dragon: Patrick Hayden / Turtle_Dude
Lion: Davide Giagnorio / Comebackman95
Lion: Samuel Benies
Phoenix: Luiz Bretas / LGB
Phoenix: Jose Luiz Saenz / Fleepa
Scorpion: Pietro Sebastiano Monari / pudduk
Unicorn: Oskar Bladh / DirtyDeeds
The world spins and seasons change. The winds shift and the tides turn. Rokugan finds itself in a time of upheaval and renewal. Few can say what lies ahead, but now we take the first step. Now we lay the groundwork for the continuation of the Legend of the Five Rings.
This milestone represents a fresh start of sorts. For this reason, we have taken the opportunity to address some imbalances in the game through several small changes to the rules. Additionally, we present the Emerald Edict, a revised restricted/ban list building off of the work done by the Jade Council and the lessons learned during Clan Wars.Continue reading “Rules and RL changes”
The foundation of Emerald Legacy is our own story line. Our wonderful team of writers is working hard to create wonderful stories for you to read.
You are doubtless curious about the story Emerald Legacy will follow, so without any further sputtering about, we are pleased to present you with the very first short story to lead into this new saga, “After the Storm“.
Read it here.
As Legend of the Five Rings moves into a fan-designed future format, there may need to be changes made to the storyline, due to possible legal conflicts or clashes with the storyline that may be advanced by FFG/Asmodee.
We would like to know how you feel about changes to the story and lore, independent of any changes to mechanics for the game. As you answer these questions, please presume that mechanically the game will work at least as well as it did for the FFG version at its very best.
On behalf of the Emerald Legacy project, I’d like to invite you all to take part in our survey regarding the future of the controversial RALLY keyword. Head to https://forms.gle/yUxqxNAypH4EKrja9 to take part
Thanks in advance,